Controlling Foodservice Costs
It’s easy to lose money in your operation due to spoilage, waste, and poor scheduling. Often, with some easy adjustments, you can tweak the expense side of your foodservice operation, yielding greater profits.
On a foodservice operation's profit and loss statement, food costs can be highly volatile and labor is the second largest cost after operating expenses. So managing food and labor costs is critical to profitability. Gordon Food Service can help you control costs with a variety of services and resources.
Cycle Menu Management®
It is possible to do two seemingly contradictory things at once: provide more choices while simultaneously minimizing food waste, labor costs, and overproduction.
You can accomplish it all with Cycle Menu Management®, an easy-to-use software program exclusively to you as a Gordon Food Service customer. Users of the program report improved guest satisfaction and are more efficient at controlling food costs for menu planning and production.
- Online software program for compliance with CMS regulations
- Develop and manage cycle menus
- Meet nutritional requirements
- Implement budget controls
- Over 1,500 recipes with CCPs outlined
The Cycle Menu Management Tray Card software module can help you stay ahead of potential malnutrition, dehydration, and weight-related nutrition issues by identifying the right meal each resident needs to maintain their health status. This software is available exclusively to customers.
- Improve tray line accuracy and resident satisfaction
- Aid in compliance with Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) regulations
- Organize residents’ dietary needs and preferences
- Generate reports such as diet orders, weight history, and tube-feeding or nutrition-risk patients
Tracking invoices, writing checks, and reconciling account balances keep you away from the kitchen and dining room, where you’re needed most. Gordon Food Service offers a variety of ePayment solutions to streamline these business tasks and free up your time.
Each of these solutions is available to you free of charge as a Gordon Food Service customer. Just choose the one that works best for your operation.
- Manage your account balances and invoices, 24/7
- Make payments with a click of the mouse
- View account history
- Access order account history through GFS Experience
GFS Easy Pay™
- Electronic funds transfer system
- Automatically pay invoices on time
- Pre-notification, final notification, and ACH documents
- View payment transactions and invoices with My Account™
EDI (Electronic Data Interface)
- Requires back-end accounting system
- Upload data from Gordon Food Service's system to yours
- View transactions, invoices, and payments
- Access order guides, purchase orders, acknowledgements, and sales history
Energy Audit Program
Foodservice operations are extremely energy intensive. On a per square foot basis, even the smallest restaurant consumes more energy than a typical commercial building.
A small reduction in water, gas, and electricity usage can make a big impact on your bottom line. Gordon Food Service has developed our exclusive Energy Audit Program to help you easily identify and implement money-saving changes.
- Energy reducing solutions to save money on utility costs
- Easy to use checklist
K–12 Menu-Planning Services
The Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act provides an additional 6-cents-per-lunch reimbursement to school districts - if they comply with revised USDA meal patterns.
We offer a variety of menu-planning resources to help you meet the latest nutrition standards while staying within your budget. They’re all available exclusively to you as a Gordon Food Service customer.
- Registered dietitians available for K-12 menu consultation
- Menus available online through Cycle Menu Management
- Nutrition Analysis
- Calendar Menu Templates Available
You may not be managing your inventory properly. Waste, spoilage, theft, and overstocking are all “hidden” food costs that can seriously impede your cash flow.
You can reduce these inventory problems with Inventory Manager™, a software application developed by Gordon Food Service, exclusively for our customers.
- Develop good practices to manage inventory
- Organize count sheets, maximizing stock-counting efficiencies
- Assign inventory tags to focus on items that need frequent inventorying
- Evaluate performance and assess inventory over a period of time
If you don’t know what your meals cost, you don’t know whether you’re making money or giving it away. Recipe Manager will help you compare food costs to menu prices so you can make strategic decisions that boost your profitability. This is offered exclusively to Gordon Food Service customers.
- Available 24/7 through the online GFS Experience portal
- Create, maintain, and store recipes
- Access hundreds of Kitchen Tested recipes
- Cost out recipes using real-time pricing information
Credit Card Processing
We offer a credit card processing service to our customer to help you to control the fees. As part of this service you will have access to:
- Competitive rates for credit card processing
- Credit card and debit/ATM card acceptance
- Gift card programs
- Online reporting
Point of Sale Systems
The right point-of-sale system can streamline your day-to-day operations and help you manage your entire business, from eliminating errors between servers and kitchen staff to comparing the popularity of menu items.
- Web based point of sales solution that offers operators a low cost point of entry OR
- Modular point of sale solution with handheld device support
- Track and report sales
Food Waste Tracking Systems
On average, foodservice operators throw away 4–10 percent of the food they purchase before it even reaches a customer’s plate. That's a lot of money wasted by overproduction, excessive trim, and spoiled or expired items.
Gordon Food Service can help you as a customer take control of this pre-consumer food waste and boost your bottom line - with Food Waste Tracking Systems.
- Measure all the food thrown away, every day.
- Focus employees on waste prevention.
- Reduce waste by up to 80 percent.
- Save 4 percent or more on annual food purchases.
Office Supply Discounts
Gordon Food Service has partnered to deliver a wide variety of office supplies to your door, conveniently and affordably.
Small businesses typically spend 0.5–2+ percent of revenue dollars on office supplies. We can help you reduce these costs and increase your profits. You’ll enjoy discount rates usually reserved for high-volume purchasers—just for being a Gordon Food Service customer.
- Realize competitive pricing
- Save up to 75 percent off select items
Today, healthcare administrators and executives expect foodservice professionals to understand their operating costs and how their operation is performing in relation to the budget and goals of the entire facility. Gordon Food Service makes that easy with MeasureIT, a financial management Excel-based tool available exclusively to our healthcare customers.
- Record, monitor, and analyze your expenses on a monthly basis
- Easy to learn, use, and understand
What area of your operation can be improved?
Click on a icon below to get started.