Buy Local With Confidence
Commitment to Locally Sourced Products
We know firsthand the importance of supporting local businesses, and we understand that operators continue to search for locally sourced products. We are intentional in our pursuit of those options, and strive to ensure that these products meet the requirements for food safety, quality, and availability of supply. In an effort to empower our customers to buy locally, we have developed tools to make the process easy and convenient.
NearBuy: Our Local Food Database
To guarantee food safety, quality, and availability of supply, Gordon Food Service offers its customers NearBuy: a vendor-supplied, product-source database designed specifically for the food service industry. We know standard local reporting has only yielded the corporate or warehouse addresses, and not the location in which produce is harvested, or livestock is fed. With NearBuy, we work with our suppliers to capture, catalog, and validate comprehensive vendor-supplied data and reports so you know exactly where your products are coming from.
Our commitment to food safety, quality, and availability takes precedence, so not every product you order may be locally sourced. However, you can be sure that the local products we do identify for you are worthy of your operation and your customers—and that they are indeed nearby.
Local Supply Chain Report Functions
Using the NearBuy database, you can identify local content for your Gordon Food Service purchases based on any of the following parameters:
- Supplier headquarters
- Manufacturing location for the specific product
- If there's a predominant ingredient (2/3 or more of the product composition), the state origin of that ingredient
You also have the ability to:
- Obtain information on all the products we stock from a certain state, or within a specific distance of your ZIP code.
- Place a request for information on the products you’re currently purchasing, or find additional products available for sale within your designated geography.
- Define what level of detail you want, from the location of the corporate office or manufacturing site, to the state in which a predominant ingredient originated—or all of the above.
We can also provide you with the number of employees within the selected states supported by purchases. This added feature can offer an even broader understanding of the human impact of your purchases.
Menus, Marketing, and More
NearBuy makes it easier to respond to your customers' inquiries about local products. This information can also be a useful promotional tool. We can work with you to create menus based on products and ingredients from a specific geography. And we can help you develop concepts, signage, and promotional materials that highlight your buy-local initiative.
Learn more about our initiatives and progress in our 2017 Annual Stewardship Report.