Guide for Adopting Portability
Here’s a step-by-step list for embracing portability in your foodservice operation.
Portability can be a great sales strategy for meeting consumer needs and recovering lost revenue. Not sure where to start? Follow this easy checklist, which outlines the steps you need to take to successfully execute portability in your business.
Answer these key questions about your competitors
- Who has implemented online ordering?
- Who has the best takeout, delivery and/or retail extension? What makes it so great?
- Who has the worst? How would you do it differently?
- What changes—people, operational, technology, marketing, food, non-food—would you have to make to successfully launch a portability program?
- Which portability format(s)—enhanced takeout, delivery or retail—offer you the highest sales potential for the least amount of investment?
- Ask your local government for general demographics of your area
- Understand your existing target, including their likes, dislikes, interests, etc.
- Define any new customers you’d like to target with your portability program
- Technology needs and implications, including online ordering, point of sale, inventory management, recipe costing, recipe scaling, etc.
- Space and staging requirements, such as a pickup area or grab and go kiosk, heat lamps, etc.
- Special parking for picking up takeout orders and/or delivery drivers
- Signage, packaging and labeling
- Delivery equipment and supplies (if offering delivery)
- Marketing and advertising, including social, print and digital
- Staffing needs, including number of people, skills and training
- Cooking equipment and supplies
- Menu items conducive to portability
Select the portability strategy or strategies that are best for your business.
- Enhanced takeout
- Retail extension
More on Portability
Check out this additional, helpful information on portability.
About the Opportunity (Infographic)
We can help
Talk to your Sales Representative about the team of experts available to help you create a successful portability program.