Ancient Grain Snack Pack
YieldMakes 1 2½-oz. servings.
- 1½ oz. Recipe: Corn Nuts
- 14 oz. Giant White Whole Kernel Corn, dried
- ½ gal. Water
- ¼ c. Gordon Choice Canola/Extra Virgin Olive Oil Blend
- to taste Kosher Salt
- to taste Trade East Ground Black Pepper
- ½ oz. Recipe: Wild Rice Puffs
- 6 oz. Wild Rice
- ½ oz. Recipe Sorghum Popcorn
- ¼ c. Popping Sorghum
Recipe: Corn Nuts
1. Add the dried corn into a Cambro container and pour the water over it. Allow corn to soak overnight in the refrigerator.
2. Drain the corn into a colander. Rinse and pat dry.
3. Add the hydrated corn to a stainless steel bowl with the oil blend and toss to coat.
4. Pour the corn nuts onto a parchment-lined sheet tray and bake at 375°F in a convection oven for 20 minutes.
5. Remove the corn from oven, place into a mixing bowl and season with salt and pepper.
6. Once cooled, reserve corn nuts in deli containers at room temperature for up to 7 days.
Recipe: Wild Rice Puffs
1. Add the wild rice to a heavy-bottom sauce pot, allowing for one layer of rice with extra room in the pot for the rice to puff.
2. Heat to medium and slowly stir with a wooden spoon or spatula.
3. Stir until the rice has blistered and popped (about 3-5 minutes).
4. Pour puffed rice onto a half sheet tray and allow to cool at room temperature.
5. Store in covered deli containers for future use.
Recipe Sorghum Popcorn
1. Add 5 sorghum kernels to a large, heavy-bottom saucepan over medium-high heat. Cover and wait until 2 or 3 kernels pop (about 2½-3 minutes).
2. Remove the pot from the heat and add the remaining sorghum. Cover and allow to sit for 30 seconds off the heat.
3. Return the pot to the stove over medium-high heat.
4. Shake the pot frequently, with the lid slightly open until the popping starts to subside (about 2-3 minutes). Turn the heat to medium to reduce the number of darkened kernels.
5. Immediately pour the sorghum into a bowl and season as desired.
1. Mix together the corn nuts, puffed wild rice and popped sorghum and place in a disposable container for serving.
Note: Some of the ingredients listed in this recipe may not be available in your area. Please contact your Gordon Food Service Sales Representative for more information.