Beef Banh Pho Dip
YieldMakes 1 10-Oz Sandwich.
- Recipe: Beef Pho Broth, 6 Oz
- Gordon Signature Beef Base, No Added MSG (Item Number: 110611), 4 tsp
- Tap Water, 40 Oz
- Trade East Pho Seasoning (Item Number: 477293), 1/2 Oz
- Sienna Bakery French Baguette (Item Number: 912910), 1/3 of Baguette
- Creamy Sriracha Aioli (Item Number: 553877), 1 Oz
- Recipe: Basic Braised Short Rib, 3 Oz
- 5 Lbs Halperns' Angus Beef (Item Number: 649611)
- 1 1/4 Oz Canola Oil Blend (Item Number: 743879)
- 3/4 Oz Kosher Salt (Item Number: 424307)
- 2 Lbs Mirepoix Vegetable Blend (Item Number: 599840)
- 1/4 Oz Markon RSS Fresh Peeled Garlic (Item Number: 428353)
- 1 tsp Markon Fresh Thyme (Item Number: 562726)
- 4 Oz Red Wine
- 1 Each Trade East Whole Bay Leaves (Item Number: 273937)
- 3 1/4 Oz Gordon Signature Beef Base, No Added MSG (Item Number: 110611)
- 1 Gallon Tap Water
- Preheat a convection oven to 325 degrees F on High Fan.
- Place a large rondeau or braizer on the range and place on medium heat.
- Remove any unwanted leaf fat or silver skin off the short ribs. There will be two rectangular muscles in each 5# cryo. Cut each muscle into thirds as equal as possible leaving you with 6 blocky cuts.
- Oil the short ribs using 1 oz of the oil blend, leaving the remainder for the mire poix.
- Season the short ribs with salt and pepper as desired.
- Sear the short ribs in the rondeau, caramelizing each side. Once the short ribs are seared, remove them from the rondeau and reserve.
- Add the remainder of the oil and the mire poix. Sweat down on low to medium heat until caramelized.
- Next add the minced garlic, thyme and bay leaf.
- Deglaze with the red wine, scraping up the caramelized bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon or high heat spatula. Reduce the wine down until the pan is almost dry.
- Stir/whisk in the hot water and beef base, stirring so the base dissolves.
- Bring the pot to a simmer and add the short ribs back on the rondeau.
- Cover and place in the oven for 3 - 4 hours or until they are fork tender.
- Carefully remove the short ribs from the rondeau and strain the braising liquid through a chinois, removing the solids.
- Add the strained braising liquid to a cambro & place the short ribs back in the stock to stay hydrated while cooling.
- Place an ice wand in the cambro and cool under refrigeration.
- Once completely cooled, remove the beef fat cap from the cambro, package the short ribs and use the braising liquid as the base for the sauce as desired.
- Recipe: Cilantro Gremolata, 1/2 Oz
- Markon RSS Cilantro, Cleaned (Item Number: 219550), 2 Oz
- Markon RSS Green Onion (Item Number: 596981), 2 Oz
- Unseasoned Rice Wine Vinegar (Item Number: 868830), 1 Oz
- Canola Oil Blend (Item Number: 743879), 1/2 Oz
- Sesame Oil (Item Number: 348630), 1 tsp
- Fresh Ginger (Item Number: 552321), 1 Oz
- Markon RSS Peeled Garlic (Item Number: 428353), 1/2 Oz
- Trade East Crushed Red Pepper (Item Number: 430196), 1 tsp
- Kosher Salt (Item Number: 153550), 1 Each
- Rough chop the cilantro and slice the scallions; reserve.
- In a stainless steel mixing bowl, whisk the rice wine vinegar, oil blend, and sesame oil.
- Whisk in the ginger, garlic, and chili flakes into the bowl.
- Fold in the cilantro and scallions. Season with salt to taste.
- Transfer to a deli container and reserve under refrigeration for service.
- Recipe: Pickled Asian Vegetables, 2 Oz
- Jumbo Carrots (Item Number: 592293), 3 Oz
- Markon RSS Radishes, Cleaned (Item Number: 233986), 3 Oz
- Markon Red Peppers (item Number: 560715), 2 Oz
- Jumbo Spanish Onions (Item Number: 570109), 2 Oz
- Jalapeno Peppers (Item Number: 303186), 2 Oz
- Tap Water, 24 Oz
- Unseasoned Rice Wine Vinegar (Item Number: 868830), 12 Oz
- Gordon Choice Granulated Sugar (Item Number: 425311), 1 1/2 Oz
- Kosher Salt (Item Number: 424307), 3/4 Oz
- Julienne the carrots with a mandoline and reserve.
- Slice the radishes on a mandoline 1/16" and reserve separately.
- Julienne the red peppers with a chef's knife and reserve.
- Slice the onions on the madoniline 1/16" and reserve.
- Remove the stem end of the jalapeno and mandoline them to 1/16" and reserve.
- Keep the vegetables into two separate containers. It is important that the containers you use are just large enough to fit the vegetables. This way the liquid in the recipe will just cover them. Place the carrots, radishes, & red
- peppers into one & the onions and the jalapeno slices into another. The radish has a tendency to bleed.
- In a mixing bowl or a cambro container, mix together the water, vinegar, sugar & salt together until the salt and sugar have completely dissolved.
- Pour the brine over the vegetables in their separate containers and refrigerate for at least 24 hours prior to use.
Recipe: Beef Pho Broth
In a non-reactive sauce pot, whisk together the beef base, warm water, and the pho seasoning until completely dissolved.
Bring to a boil and shut down.
Strain through a chinois or a fine mesh strainer and reserve hot for service in a steam well or soup kettle; or allow to cool down completely under refrigeration for future recipe needs.
Recipe: Basic Braised Short Rib
Recipe: Cilantro Gremolata
Recipe: Pickled Asian Vegetables
- Cut the baguette into thirds or three 6" pieces. Then slice them open lengthwise to use for the banh mi. (Toast if desired).
- Place the sriracha aioli down on the interior of the bread in a zig-zag pattern out of a squeeze bottle; then spread the sauce down to cover the cut side of the bread from end-to-end with an inverted spatula.
- Meanwhile, add the pulled short rib and the pho broth to a small saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Remove the short rib from the broth and place it down on the bottom piece of bread.
- Add the remainder of the broth to a small soup cup and then onto a plate.
- Add the cilantro gremolata on top of the short rib, followed by another line of the aioli.
- Add the pickles on top of that, followed by the top of the bread.
- Serve the beef banh sandwich with the pho on the side.