Buttermilk Pillow Cakes
- 2 qt. GFS Bleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 c. GFS Granulated Cane Sugar
- 8 Tbsp. Baking Powder
- 4 Tbsp. Baking Soda
- 2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1½ qt. 1% Buttermilk
- 12 ct. Gordon Choice Large Grade A Shell Eggs
- 2 Tbsp. GFS Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 c. GFS Unsalted Butter Prints, melted
- 1/2 c. GFS Canola Oil Pan Coating Spray
- 36 oz. Recipe: Hazelnut Maple Syrup
- 11/2 qt. GFS 2% Maple Syrup
- 4 c. Nutella
- 6 oz. Recipe: Candied Pecans
- 16 oz. GFS Pecans
- 3 oz. GFS Granulated Cane Sugar
- Blanch pecan halves in boiling water for 30 seconds. Drain and allow to dry, 1 to 2 minutes.
- In a medium stainless steel mixing bowl, toss the pecans with the sugar together to coat evenly. Working in 8 oz. batches, fry in a heated 350°F deep-fryer up to 1 minute, or until crunchy. Drain and place on parchment paper to cool.
- Store candied pecans in a tightly sealed container until needed, up to one week.
- 3/4 c. GFS Fancy Shredded Sweetened Coconut
Recipe: Hazelnut Maple Syrup
Place the pancake syrup and nutella in a stainless steel mixing bowl. Whisk until blended.
Recipe: Candied Pecans
- Place the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a stainless steel mixing bowl. Whisk together until combined. In a second mixing bowl, add the buttermilk, eggs and vanilla. Whisk together until blended.
- Slowly whisk the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture. Whisk until blended. Whisk in the melted butter until blended. Do not over mix. Clean the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Cover with film wrap until needed.
To prepare à la carte:
- Heat three seasoned 6" cast iron skillets over medium-low heat. Spray each skillet with cooking spray. Using a #20 yellow disher, place 2 scoops of batter in each skillet. Use the back of the disher to level the batter with the edge of the skillet. Cook until small bubbles start popping on the surface of the uncooked side of the pancake. Allow to cook about 4 minutes on the first side, or until golden-brown.
- Slide a small metal spatula under each pancake. Quickly flip over and back into the the skillet. Cook another 4 minutes, or until golden-brown and just cooked through. Stack on a warmed serving plate. Ladle 3 oz. of warmed hazelnut maple syrup over the top of the pancakes. Place ½ oz. of candied pecans in the center of the pancakes on top of the syrup. Place 1 Tbsp. of toasted coconut on top of the pecans.