Chicken Fried Hen of the Woods
Prep Time20 Minutes. Makes 1 10-Ounce Sandwich.
- Hen of the Woods Mushrooms (Item Number: 338188), 2 Ounces
- Gordon Choice Homestyle Chicken Fry Breader Mix (Item Number: 175611), 1 Ounce
- Trade East Buffalo Seasoning (Item Number: 566522), 1 1/2 tsp
- Kosher Salt (Item Number: 153550), 1 1/4 tsp
- Buttermilk (Item Number: 245522), 3 Ounces
- Egg (Item Number: 209002), 1 Each
- Hawaiian Hamburger Bun (Item Number: 633831), 1 Each
- Gordon Choice Pan Spray (Item Number: 405170), 1 Each
- Markon RSS Shredded Lettuce (Item Number: 678791), 1 Ounce
- Gordon Choice Dill Hamburger Pickles, Sliced (Item Number: 149195), 4 Each
- Gordon Choice American White Cheddar Cheese (Item Number: 335215), 2 Each
- Alabama White Sauce, 1 Ounce
- Gordon Signature Mayonnaise (Item Number: 131920), 2 Cups
- Gordon Choice Apple Cider Vinegar (Item Number: 430795), 3 Ounces
- Gordon Choice Clover Honey (Item Number: 225614), 1 Ounce
- Worcestershire Sauce (Item Number: 293431), 2 tsp
- Horseradish (Item Number: 282908), 1 tsp (strained)
- Markon RSS Lemon Juice (Item Number: 887320), 1 tsp
- Trade East Celery Salt (Item Number: 231517), 1 tsp
- Trade East Black Pepper (Item Number: 242179), 1 tsp
- Trade East Red Cayenne Pepper (Item Number: 225088), 1 1/4 tsp
- In a stainless steel mixing bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients first (mayo, vinegar, honey, Worcestershire, horseradish, and lemon juice)
- Next whisk in the dry ingredients until fully incorporated.
- Place in squeeze bottles or deli containers for service under refrigeration.
Alabama White Sauce
- Preheat a fryer to 350 degrees F and your broiler or salamander to high heat.
- Process the hen of the woods or maitake mushrooms into smaller florets held together at its base and reserve in a deli container or a sheet tray as you prepare the breading process.
- For the breading process, gather a small stainless steel bowl, and two sheet trays.
- In the stainless steel bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and the egg until fully combined and smooth.
- In one of the sheet trays, mix together the chicken breader, the buffalo seasoning & the salt. To bread the mushrooms use the one hand wet, one hand dry technique. Start by placing the mushrooms in the breader mixture & fully coat them liberally, ensuring all its gaps and crevices are coated. Allow the mushrooms to sit in this mixture for 5 minutes.
- Using your designated wet hand, add the mushrooms to the buttermilk/egg mixture ensuring they are fully submerged & coated. Then one at a time place them back into the breading mixture.
- Using your designated dry hand, coat the mushrooms with the breader and slightly press it into the mushrooms ensuring the adhesion.
- Place the now double dredged mushroom on a clean sheet tray in preparation for frying.
- Meanwhile, use the pan spray to coat the inside (cut side) of the buns & toast under the broiler or salamander for 30 to 60 seconds until toasted and golden brown.
- Remove and reserve for the plate up.
- Gather a half sheet tray lined with a roasting rack and bring that and the tray of mushrooms to the fryer.
- Add the mushrooms to two baskets inside the fryer, and fry, turning over as needed with a spider for 4 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Remove from the fryer and transfer to a stainless steel mixing bowl. Season immediately with salt and pepper. Then place the mushrooms in single layers on top of the roasting rack to stay crisp.
- To plate, spread 1/2 ounce of the Alabama white sauce on each toasted part of the Hawaiian bun. Next, add the shredded lettuce to the bottom bun portion, followed by the pickled slices.
- Add the fried mushrooms on top of the pickles, followed by the American cheese and then the top bun. Cut in half if desired and plate accordingly.
- Serve immediately.