Falafel with Shakshuka Gravy
- 4 1/2 lb. GFS Falafel Mix
- 5 1/2 c. Water
- 2 lb. Feta Cheese
- 18 lb. (Recipe) Shakshuka Gravy
- 1 oz. GFS Canola Oil
- 1 1/2 lb. Onions
- 12 oz. Markon Green Peppers
- 12 oz. Red Peppers
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic, chopped
- 1 ct. GFS Petite Tomatoes
- 1/2 c. GFS Tomato Paste
- 1/4 c. Trade East Paprika
- 2 Tbsp. Trade East Sea Salt
- 1 Tbsp. Trade East Cumin
- 1 tsp. Trade East Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp. Trade East Black Pepper
- 1 tsp. Trade East Caraway Seeds
- 3 ct. Trade East Whole Bay Leaves
- 12 oz. Tahini Paste
- 1 1/4 oz. Fresh Parsley
- 1/2 oz. Fresh Mint Leaves
(Recipe) Shakshuka Gravy
1. Place the canola oil in a heated, nonreactive rondeau. Add the onions, peppers and garlic. Sauté until tender. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, paprika, salt, cumin, cayenne pepper, black pepper, caraway seeds and bay leaves. CCP: Final internal cooking temperature must reach a minimum of 135°F, held for a minimum of 15 seconds.
2. Bring to a boil. Stir frequently. Season to taste with sea salt. Simmer 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool. Transfer to a nonreactive storage container. Cover, label, date and refrigerate until needed. CCP: Refrigerate at 41°F, or below.
1. Place the falafel mix and water in a stainless-steel mixing bowl. Mix together thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate. Rest the mix 30 minutes to reconstitute before use. Dice the the cheese into ¼-oz. pieces. Place in a storage container. Cover, label, date and refrigerate until needed. CCP: Refrigerate at 41°F, or below.
2. Using an orchid disher, scoop the falafel mix into 1 1/4-oz. balls. Roll each ball on a well-floured surface until coated. Flatten out into a 3" circle. Place ¼ oz. of feta cheese in the center of the flattened dough. Fold the dough around the cheese. Dip your fingers in ice water and smooth out the seam. Shape back into a ball, rolling in the flour if the dough is too sticky to roll. Place in a storage container. Cover, label, date and refrigerate until needed. CCP: Refrigerate at 41°F, or below.
To prepare à la carte:
1. Place 5 of the falafel balls in a heated 350°F deep-fryer. Cook up to 4 1/2 minutes or until just cooked through. Allow to drain. CCP: Final internal cooking temperature must reach a minimum of 135°F, held for a minimum of 15 seconds.
2. Ladle 1 1/2 c. of warmed shakshuka gravy into a heated serving bowl. Place the falafel balls in a circular pattern in the gravy. Drizzle 1/2 tsp. of tahini paste over the top of each falafel ball. Sprinkle 1 tsp. parsley and 1/2 tsp. of mint over the top of the falafel balls and the sauce.