Fonio and Broccoli Salad
- 6 c. Pearled Fonio
- 2 oz. Gordon Choice Soy Vegetable Salad Oil
- 3 qt. Water
- 1 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 2¼ lb. Fresh Red Beets
- to taste Kosher Salt
- to taste Trade East Ground Black Pepper
- 3 c. Primo Gusto Mediterranean Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 lb. Broccoli, trimmed into small florets
- 2¼ lb. Markon Grape Tomatoes, sliced
- 1½ lb. Markon Yellow Peppers, sliced
- 8 ct. Lemons, squeezed into 1½ c. juice
- 4 oz. Markon Italian Parsley, chopped
- 4 oz. Markon Chives
- 18 oz. Markon Ready-Set-Serve® Baby Arugula
1. Combine fonio and oil in a nonreactive saucepan. Whisk in the cold water and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat, cover and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and allow to cool. Refrigerate until needed.
2. Place the beets on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Roast in a 350°F oven for 30-40 minutes or until just cooked through.
3. Allow the beets to cool. Peel and remove the skin. Dice into ¼“ pieces. Place the trimmed beets in a stainless steel mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Toss together. Place in a covered storage container. Label, date and refrigerate until needed.
To prepare à la carte:
1. Place 1 Tbsp. of olive oil on a heated, nonstick sauté pan. When the oil begins to smoke, add 2 oz. of broccoli. Sauté until tender but still firm to the bite. Add 1½ oz. of grape tomatoes and 1 oz. of yellow peppers. Sauté about 15 seconds or just until lightly charred. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from the pan and allow to cool slightly.
2. Place 6 oz. of fonio, 1 Tbsp. each of olive oil and lemon juice, 1 tsp. each of parsley and chives in a stainless steel mixing bowl. Mix together using a rubber spatula. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Add the sautéed vegetable mixture, 1½ oz. of warmed beets and ¾ oz. of arugula to the fonio mixture. Mix together using a rubber spatula. Place the salad on a chilled serving plate.