Greek Spinach Tapioca
YieldMakes 24 12-oz. portions.
- 3 lb. Markon Cauliflower
- 2 Tbsp. Trade East Italian Herb Seasoning
- 24 oz. (Recipe) Spinach Tapioca
- 4 oz. Markon Ready-Set-Serve Spinach
- 4 c. Water
- 12 c. Tapioca Flour
- 2 tsp. Trade East Sea Salt
- 24 oz. (Recipe) Greek Yogurt Olive Spread
- 2 lb. Plain Greek Yogurt
- 4 oz. Crumbled Feta Cheese
- 4 oz. Jumbo Pitted Kalamata Olives, drained and finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Trade East Garlic and Herb Seasoning
- 3 lb. Markon Zucchini, sliced thin widthwise
- 3 lb. Markon Button Mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1 1/2 c. GFS Canola Oil
- 2 1/4 lb. Markon Roma Tomatoes, sliced widthwise into 1/2 oz. portions
(Recipe) Spinach Tapioca
1. In batches, place 4 oz. of spinach and 4 c. of water in a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour the spinach water through a chinois or super fine mesh strainer. Yield needed is 2 c. Place 6 c. of tapioca flour in a stainless steel mixing bowl. Pour the spinach water over the flour. Add the salt. Mix the water into the flour. Scrape any excess flour from the sides of the bowl. Rub the mixture between the palms of your hands until blended into granules, which need to be just wet enough to melt together when sifted into the heated pan, yet dry enough so it will not stick to the wire mesh of the strainer.
2. Place a 10" mesh strainer over a clean stainless steel mixing bowl. In manageable batches, scoop the flour into the strainer. Going in a circular motion push the flour through the strainer, which will look dry when finished. Repeat until all of the flour has been sifted through the strainer. Place a small handful of the flour in the palm of your hand and squeeze it together. It should stick together in a clump. If it doesn't, spray a small amount of water from a spray bottle over the top of the flour. Mix and sift again. If it is too wet, add a small amount of tapioca flour. Mix and sift again, if necessary.
To prepare à la carte:
Place a 10" nonstick sauté pan over medium-low heat. Scoop 1/3 c. of the tapioca flour mixture into a 6" medium mesh strainer. Keep the flour loose when filling the cup. Sift the flour evenly over the bottom of the pan. Immediately use a pastry brush to spread the mixture out around the edges so the tapioca will be uniform in thickness. When the granules hit the pan they quickly coalesce, and with a small amount of shaping, form a pancake. Cook 1 minute, or until the pancake slides around easily in the pan. Flip the pancake over. Cook another minute, then flip one more time. Remove from the pan with the smooth-side down.
(Recipe) Greek Yogurt Olive Spread
1. Place the yogurt, feta cheese, kalamata olives and garlic and herb seasoning in a stainless steel mixing bowl. Whisk until blended.
2. Transfer to a storage container. Cover, label, date and refrigerate until needed.
1. Slice the cauliflower into florets. Slice the florets lengthwise with the stem to keep the slices together. Place in a stainless steel mixing bowl.
2. Sprinkle Italian seasoning over the cauliflower. Toss to combine. Place in a storage container. Cover, label, date and refrigerate for future service.
To prepare à la carte:
1. Place 1 Tbsp. of canola oil on a heated flat griddle. Spread out evenly with a metal spatula. Place 2 oz. each of cauliflower, zucchini and mushroom slices on the griddle. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook on one side until golden-brown and just warmed through.
2. Place the tapioca pancake, smooth-side down, on a work surface and evenly spread the Greek yogurt olive spread on the bottom half of the pancake. Layer the zucchini, cauliflower and mushrooms on top of the spread. Shingle three 1/2 oz. tomato slices on top of the mushrooms.
3. Fold the remaining half of the tapioca over the top of the tomatoes. Place on a warmed serving plate. Leave the half-moon edge exposed.