Merguez Meatballs with Hummus
YieldMakes 24 14-oz. portions.
- 7½ lb. Recipe: Merguez Turkey Sausage
- 10 lb. Ground Turkey
- 1 c. Tomato Paste
- ¼ c. Garlic Chopped in Water
- ¼ c. Trade East Sea Salt
- ¼ c. Trade East Paprika
- 2 Tbsp. Trade East Turmeric
- 2 Tbsp. Trade East Whole Fennel Seed
- 2 Tbsp. Trade East Curry Powder
- 2 Tbsp. Trade East Granulated Onion
- 1½ Tbsp. Trade East Ground Cumin
- 1 Tbsp. Trade East Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. Trade East Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Trade East Ground Red Cayenne Pepper
- 2 Tbsp. GFS Pan Coating Spray
- 24 ct. Pita Bread, 6”
- 6 oz. Markon Ready-Set-Serve Arugula
- 6 lb. Hummus
- 3 lb. Recipe: Feta Labneh
- 4 lb. Greek Plain Yogurt
- 1 lb. Feta Cheese Crumbles
- 2 ct. Markon Choice California Lemons
- 1 Tbsp. Markon Ready-Set-Serve Fresh Garlic, minced
- to taste Kosher Salt
- to taste Trade East Ground Black Pepper
- 12 oz. Markon Roma Tomatoes
Recipe: Merguez Turkey Sausage
1. Place all ingredients in a chilled stainless steel electric mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment.
2. Mix on low speed until blended. Be careful not to over mix.
3. Spread out in 2 chilled stainless steel hotel pans.
4. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
Recipe: Feta Labneh
1. Line a strainer with a double layer of cheesecloth. Place the strainer inside a stainless steel mixing bowl to catch excess liquid. Spread yogurt out on the inside of the lined strainer. Cover with film wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours.
2. Remove 1 Tbsp. of zest from lemons with a microplane and set aside.
3. Place the feta in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Chop as finely as possible. Transfer to a chilled stainless steel bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
4. Add the labneh, lemon zest and garlic to the mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Mix on low speed until blended. Transfer to a storage container, cover and refrigerate until needed.
1. Scoop sausage into 1 oz. portions using #30 scoop. Roll into balls and place in a storage container in a single layer. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
To prepare à la carte:
1. Place five meatballs on an oiled baking pan. Place in a 350°F oven for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.
2. Cut pita bread into triangles.
3. Place ¼ oz. arugula at the top center of serving plate. Shingle pita triangles on the left and right side of the plate.
4. Spread 4 oz. of hummus out in a circle just off center of the plate. Spoon 2 oz. of feta labneh on to the center of the hummus. Place 1 Tbsp. of Roma tomatoes on top of the labneh.
NUTRITIONAL INFO (per serving)Calories: 735
Fat: 34 g.
Sodium: 1,357 mg.
Carbohydrates: 70 g.
Protein: 43 g.