Nduja Clams And Rigatoni
YieldMakes 24 16-oz. servings.
- 6 lb. Primo Gusto Piccolo Mini Rigatoni Pasta
- 3 lb. (Recipe) Nduja Sausage
- 3/4 c. Trade East Paprika
- 2 Tbsp. Trade East Smoked Paprika
- 2 Tbsp. Trade East Crushed Red Pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Trade East Cayenne Pepper
- 2 tsp. Trade East White Pepper
- 2 lb. GFS Pork Belly
- 1 lb. GFS Ham Proscuitto Halves
- 12 oz. Duck Fat
- 2 oz. Roasted Garlic
- 1 1/2 qt. Chardonnay*
- 1 1/2 ct. GFS 36% Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 1/2 c. Markon Cleaned Shallots
- 24 lb. Brown Clams
- 1 1/2 c. Markon Italian Parsley
(Recipe) Nduja Sausage
1. Place the paprika, smoked paprika, crushed red pepper, cayenne and white pepper in a stainless-steel mixing bowl. Mix together until blended.
2. Dice the pork belly and prosciutto into 1/4" pieces. Keep separate when chopping. In small batches, place the pork belly in a food processor fitted with a metal chopping blade. Pulse-chop into coarse granular pieces. Place in the chilled stainless-steel mixing bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Place the prosciutto in the food processor. Pulse-chop into coarse, granular pieces. Add to the bowl of the electric mixer with the pork belly. Add the duck fat, garlic and seasoning mixture.
3. Mix on the lowest speed until blended. Do not overmix. The pork belly and prosciutto should be in granular pieces small enough to be spreadable. Place in a nonreactive storage container. Refrigerate for 24 hours. CCP: Refrigerate at 41°F, or below.
*Available through the retail market.
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Gradually add the pasta to the boiling water. Return to a boil, stirring occasionally to prevent the pasta from sticking. Cook to preferred tenderness and drain immediately. CCP: Final internal cooking temperature must reach a minimum of 135°F, held for 15 seconds.
2. Rinse the pasta in cold water, place in a colander and allow to drain. Transfer to a storage container. Add a small amount of oil to prevent sticking. Mix thoroughly. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Place in a storage container, cover, label, date and refrigerate until needed. CCP: Refrigerate at 41°F, or below.
To prepare à la carte:
1. Place 2 oz. of nduja in a heated, nonstick sauté pan. As soon as the nduja begins to caramelize add 1/4 c. each of Chardonnay and heavy cream and 1 Tbsp. of shallots to the nduja. Bring to a boil. Add a 1 lb. bag of clams with the broth and 8 oz. of rigatoni. Cover the pan and bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes or until the clams have opened and are just warmed through. CCP: Final internal cooking temperature must reach a minimum of 145°F, held for 15 seconds.
2. Spoon the clams into a warmed serving bowl. Pour the warmed nduja mixture over the top of the clams. Sprinkle 1 tsp. of parsley over the top of the clams.