Pasta e Fagioli
Prep Time1 hour. Makes 3 qt.
- ¼ c. Primo Gusto Olive Oil
- ½ c. Markon Yellow Onion, chopped
- ½ c. Markon Carrots, peeled, finely chopped
- ¼ c. Markon Celery, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp. Garlic, fresh, finely chopped
- 6 oz. Tomato Paste
- 4 c. Vegetable or Chicken Stock
- 28 oz. Crushed Tomatoes (can)
- 2 c. Water
- 2 ct. Trade East Bay Leaves
- 1 Tbsp. Trade East Dried Oregano
- ½ tsp. Peperoncino (red pepper flakes)
- to taste Red Pepper Flakes
- 30 oz. Cannellini Beans (2-15 oz cans, drained)
- ½ c. Italian Flat Leaf Parsley, finely chopped
- 6-8 leaves Markon Fresh Basil , bruised
- to taste Kosher Salt
- to taste Trade East Ground Black Pepper
- 5-6 oz. dry Ditalini Pasta, cooked, drained, cooled
- garnish Romano Cheese
- garnish Olive Oil
- Warm the olive oil over medium heat in a large Dutch oven or soup pot.
- Add the chopped onion, carrot, and celery.
- Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables have softened and the onions are turning translucent (about 6-10 minutes).
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Add the tomato paste and cook the tomatoes with the vegetables (5 minutes).
- Add the stock, crushed tomatoes, water, bay leaves, oregano and peperoncino.
- Adjust heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Simmer gently for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beans and continue cooking for about 20 minutes on a low simmer.
- Turn off the heat, remove the bay leaves and discard.
- Stir in the parsley, basil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Place about ½ c. of the cooked pasta into a warmed soup bowl.
- Ladle the hot soup over the pasta.
- Garnish the top with grated Romano cheese and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve with fresh Italian bread for dipping.