Puffy Beef Barbacoa Tacos
- 24 ct. Puffy Taco Tortilla Shells
- 8 c. Mesa Herina Flour
- 6 1/2 c. Water
- 1 Tbsp. GFS Granulated Cane Sugar
- 1 Tbsp. GFS Kosher Salt
- 3 lb. GFS Refried Beans
- 6 lb. GFS Beef Barbacoa, thawed, hand shredded and warmed
- 24 Tbsp. GFS Salsa Verde
- 1 1/2 lb. Queso Fresco
- 12 oz. GFS Shredded Lettuce
Puffy Taco Tortilla Shells
1. Combine all ingredients in a stainless-steel mixing bowl. Mix together until a dough ball is formed. The dough should be moist enough so it is free of cracks when portioning and rolling the dough into balls. If the dough is too dry add a small amount of water, if it is too moist add a small amount of masa. Mix until the desired consistency has been achieved.
2. Wrap both sides of a tortilla press with film wrap. This will prevent the dough from sticking to the tortilla press. Place the dough ball in the center of the press. Press the dough out into a circle. After pressing, peel the tortilla off of the film wrap. Lay each one out on a lightly oiled-parchment lined sheet pan in a single layer. Keep covered until needed.
3. Place a tortilla in a heated 375-degree deep-fryer. As soon as the tortilla begins to float, use a metal spatula to repeatedly douse the top of the tortilla with the oil. When the top of the tortilla begins to puff, place the tip of the spatula in the center of the tortilla, pushing it down into the oil.
4. When the tortilla begins to hold a taco shape and has cooked, remove it from the oil. Place it on paper towel so the bottom of the tortilla is facing up. Allow it to drain.
1. Make the puffy taco tortilla shells.
2. Place the queso fresco in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse-chop until consistency is coarse and crumbly.
3. Place two tortillas on a warmed serving plate. Spread 1 oz. of warmed beans in the center of each tortilla. Place 2 oz. of warmed beef barbacoa on top of the beans.
4. Spoon 1 Tbsp. of salsa verde on top of each taco. Sprinkle 1/2 oz. of queso fresco and 1/4 oz. of lettuce on each taco.