Roasted Banana Peppers
YieldMakes 24 14-oz. servings.
- 8 lb. Bulk Mild Italian Sausage
- 4 lb. Sweet Vidalia Onion, diced
- 4 c. Hearthstone Roasted Pork Gravy
- 2 lb. Markon Roma Tomatoes, diced
- 2 oz. Markon Italian Parsley
- 1 oz. Markon Basil
- 2 c. Primo Gusto Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 6 lb. Yellow Banana Peppers
- to taste Kosher Salt
- to taste Trade East Ground Black Pepper
- 12 tsp. Recipe: Parmesan Breadcrumbs
- 3 lb. GFS Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 lb. Primo Gusto Fancy Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 6 oz. GFS Liquid Butter Alternative
- 1 oz. Trade East Grilling Dust
- 12 oz. Recipe: Red Pepper Coulis
- ¼ c. Water
- 3 Tbsp. Corn Starch
- 1¾ lb. Italian Roasted Red Peppers
- 1 tsp. Trade East Granulated Garlic
- 1 tsp. Trade East Granulated Onion
- 1 oz. Markon Italian Parsley
Recipe: Parmesan Breadcrumbs
1. Combine all ingredients in a stainless steel bowl. Mix thoroughly.
2. Transfer to a covered storage container, label and date until needed.
Recipe: Red Pepper Coulis
1. Place the water and cornstarch in a stainless steel bowl. Whisk until smooth.
2. Place the peppers in a colander and allow to drain. Purée the peppers in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a nonstick saucepan and simmer 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and onion and stir frequently. Whisk in the cornstarch, adding to desired consistency. Simmer 1-2 minutes.
3. Allow to cool. Transfer to a covered storage container, label, date and refrigerate until needed.
1. Place the sausage in a heated nonreactive rondeau. Add the onions and cook until translucent. Add the pork gravy, tomatoes, parsley and basil. Cook over medium-high heat for 2 minutes, stirring continuously. Remove from heat. Add the Parmesan cheese and transfer to a stainless steel hotel pan and allow to cool.
2. Slice the peppers in half including the stem, leaving it on top of the peppers if possible. Remove the seeds and white membrane. Place in 2” stainless steel hotel pans. Season with salt and pepper. Pour ½” of water into the bottom of a hotel pan and cover tightly with foil. Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes. Transfer to a parchment-lined sheet pan and allow to cool.
3. Spread 2 oz. of sausage inside each pepper. Lightly press the mixture into the peppers. Place in a single layer in a 2” stainless steel hotel pan. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
To prepare à la carte:
1. Place 3 peppers on an oiled metal baking pan. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. of Parmesan breadcrumbs. Bake at 350°F until warmed through. Transfer to a serving plate. Serve with 3 tsp. of red pepper coulis and parsley.