Southern Grilled Oysters
YieldMakes 24 servings, 5 oysters each.
- 1 1/2 c. (Recipe) Milanese Bread Crumbs
- 1 lb. Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 c. Parmesan Cheese, grated
- 2 ct. Lemons, zested
- 1 Tbsp. Trade East Ground Black Pepper
- 120 ct. Oysters, Half Shell
- 1 1/2 lb. (Recipe) Cajun Butter
- 2 lb. GFS Unsalted Butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp. Trade East Cajun Seasoning
- 4 Tbsp. Trade East Coriander
- 1 1/2 lb. (Recipe) Tomato Jam
- 2 lb. Markon Roma Tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 c. GFS Jumbo Spanish Onion, finely diced
- 3/4 c. Markon Red Peppers, finely diced
- 1/2 c. Water
- 4 Tbsp. GFS Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 c. GFS Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 c. GFS Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbsp. Markon Peeled Garlic, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. GFS All-Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Trade East Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Markon Green Onions, thinly bias sliced
(Recipe) Milanese Bread Crumbs
1. Place the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, lemon zest and pepper in a stainless-steel mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly.
2. Place in a storage container, cover, label, date and refrigerate until needed.
(Recipe) Cajun Butter
1. Place the butter, Cajun seasoning and coriander in the stainless-steel bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until well blended.
2. Set the mixer on low speed. Mix thoroughly.
3. Place 1 lb. portions of butter on sheets of parchment paper and roll into 2 in. cylinders.
4. Wrap rolls in plastic to preserve flavor and refrigerate up to one week, or freeze up to two months.
(Recipe) Tomato Jam
1. Trim the tomatoes and quarter. In small batches, place them in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse chop to a 1/8 in. consistency.
2. Place the tomatoes, onions, red peppers, water, sugar, vinegar, tomato paste, garlic, flour, salt and pepper in a nonreactive sauce pan. Bring to a simmer. Stir frequently. Simmer until liquid has reduced and mixture has thickened.
3. Allow to cool. In small batches place the mixture in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Chop into desired consistency. Place in a nonreactive storage container. Cover, label, date and refrigerate until needed.
1. Place the breadcrumbs on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Place in a 350°F oven. Cook until golden-brown.
2. Place 5 oysters on a metal baking pan. Place in a heated 350°F convection oven. Cook just until the liquid on the shells begin to steam.
3. Place 1 Tbsp. of breadcrumbs on top of each oyster. Divide 1 oz. of butter between the 5 oysters. Place them under a heated salamander or broiler until the butter begins to melt.
4. Place the oysters on a warmed serving plate so the tips or small end of the shells are touching in the centre. Using a teaspoon, divide 1 oz. of the tomato jam between the 5 oysters, placing the jam on top of the centre of the crumbs. Place 4-5 slices of green onions on top of the jam.