Tuna Tonnato Hero
Prep Time5 minutes. Makes 1 8-oz. sandwich.
- 1 ct. 6" French Bread Loaf, unsliced
- ½ oz. Markon Ready-Set-Serve Wild Baby Arugula
- 1½ oz. Sevillo Fine Foods Mediterranean Bruschetta
- 1½ oz. Ahi Tuna Steaks, seared, sliced, 3 oz.
- ½ oz. Gordon Choice Chunk White Albacore Tuna in Water
- ¼ tsp. Markon Dill
- ¼ tsp. Markon Chive
- 1 oz. Recipe: Saffron Tonnato Dressing (sauce 786)
- 4 oz. Dry White Wine
- ¼ tsp. Fresh Saffron Threads
- 4 ct. Markon Lemons
- 2 oz. IPM Nonpareil Capers, minced
- ¾ oz. Markon Ready Set Serve Peeled Fresh Garlic, minced
- 2 oz. Flat Anchovy Fillets in Olive Oil, drained
- 1 lb. Gordon Choice Chunk White Albacore Tuna in Water
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tsp. Hot Sauce
- 2 lb. Gordon Choice Heavy-Duty Mayonnaise
- 16 oz. Primo Gusto Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1½ Tbsp. Markon Chives
- Add the dry white wine and the saffron to a small sauce pot and allow the saffron to bloom.
- Allow the white wine saffron mixture to reduce over low heat until it's almost dry (about 10 minutes).
- Scrape the saffron syrup and threads from the pan and add to a food processor.
- Zest the lemon, adding the zest and juice to a food processor.
- Add the capers, garlic and anchovies to the food processor. Add Tabasco, Worcestershire, drained tuna and mayonnaise.
- Purée until smooth, scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula as needed. With the food processor running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil.
- Fold in the minced chives and season with fresh cracked black pepper and salt as desired.
- ¼ oz. Recipe: Pickled Red Onion (rcomp 513)
- 2 lb. Markon Jumbo Red Onions
- 1 pt. Gordon Choice Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 qt. Tap Water
- ¼ c. Gordon Choice Granulated Cane Sugar
- 3 Tbsp. Coarse Kosher Salt
- Slice the peeled, trimmed and halved onions to roughly 1/16" and ensure they are completely separated and not sticking together to increase their surface area.
- Combine water, vinegar, sugar and salt in a sauce pot. Whisk until the sugar and salt are dissolved and bring to a boil.
- Add the onions to the boiling pickling liquid and stir to ensure they are coated and equally distributed. Allow the onions and pickling mixture to get back to a simmer, shut down and pull the pot off the heat.
- Pour the pickled onions into a Cambro container and allow to cool in refrigeration.
- Cover the storage container and refrigerate for 24 hours. Drain before use.
Recipe: Saffron Tonnato Dressing (sauce 786)
Recipe: Pickled Red Onion (rcomp 513)
- Preheat your broiler or salamander to high heat.
- Cut the French roll in half lengthwise and toast under the salamander or broiler, cut-side up, until golden-brown (about 15 seconds).
- To plate, spread ½ oz. of the tonnato dressing on both the top and bottom halves of the sandwich, spreading to cover completely. Add the arugula to the top half of the sandwich, letting it stick to the tonnato spread. On the bottom portion, lay down the bruschetta mix and shingle on pieces of the seared rare tuna. Add pieces of the tuna conserva (canned tuna) interwoven throughout.
- Garnish with the minced pickled red onion, dill and chives. Add celery leaves if you have them available. Serve immediately.